Parenting: Childcare Centers Aren’t Like This





Hello Divas! I’m back at it again and seriously this time, no pun intended. Today’s topic is going to cover a disturbing situation that not only affects children, but parents and families as a whole, while creating fear in new parents while undermining and discrediting the good people in this world. 

Just another Sunday at work with S followed by grocery shopping, laundry and homework plus cleaning. Yay! Adulting looked so cool as a kid, like a real life game of playing house. Now I realize it is, and I really don’t like it. 

Where oh where is Samantha Stevens when I need her, which twitch of her nose or point of her finger? My work hours change temporarily with earlier hours (thanks bosses, and I meant that) which means I get done earlier with time to go to the gym and get other things done. 

On with the show.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/waukesha-police-abuse-alleged-child-care-center-arrests

https://www.fox6now.com/news/menomonee-falls-day-care-child-abuse-milwaukee-woman-charged

The two above posted links are documented cases of child abuse taking place in state licensed WI childcare centers. Both involved staff members abusing children in their care, with one center having leadership involved knowing what had taken place yet did nothing to prevent future abuse from happening. Both of these incidents hit very close to home due to the fact that these centers are fairly close to me in terms of driving distance and the fact that they happened within a month of each other in my home state of WI. 

These incidents also disturb me due to the fact that innocent children are being hurt, while families are scared to use group childcare, especially first time parents, or those families using group care for the first time. I have heard comments from parents they are not comfortable placing their children in group care due to abuse. 

I’m here to tell you that group childcare is not like this and that your child is safe in a childcare setting. I also want to extend my sincerest apologies for these incidents. As a preschool teacher and nanny, these incidents destroy the credibility of both myself and others in the profession as a whole. Childcare centers are governed by DHFS with regulations varying from state to state, yet the main focus, aside from following DHFS rules, is providing a safe environment for children to learn and grow. Within those DHFS there are regulations for qualifications of staff, both leadership and teachers, along with other personnel. Following those regulations set forth by DHFS leadership may hire and/or promote individuals they believe are a good fit. Sometimes they are right on the money, other times they may make a mistake. (I’ve seen both in regard to hiring and promotions). Some centers may require specific education (associate degree or higher) for teaching positions based on school preference along with other factors, such as NAEYC or NAC accreditation. In WI, new teachers are required to complete DHFS courses in lieu of a degree and/or credential, with a time stamp of six months upon date of hire for completion. 

Caring for small children isn’t easy, and there’s times it’s overwhelming. Every teacher, myself included, has a “comfort” zone with age groups: I prefer older kids (2 and older), and I do well with infants and toddlers given I have visible information in front of me, especially with infants. When caring for small children, routines are of the utmost importance as routines not only help children develop trust, but also teach them various social skills for use later in life. 

Perhaps these individuals were overwhelmed, stressed or upset about something. That happens, yet there were other ways to deal with those emotions. Instead their emotions got the best of them and children were hurt and families are now putting their lives together after experiencing unnecessary trauma. 

My thoughts and prayers are with these families as they heal from this experience. 

With changing leaves and love,

Dani

Follow me on Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/makeupjunkie091

Follow me on YouTube https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeSHdhn3x0r36JasYIPxFJA

Email: theteachingdiva9@gmail.com

Comments

Popular Posts