The Luxury of The Pool and My Good Neighbor


Oh hey there! This past weekend I enjoyed time at the pool where I had a drink with my neighbor in the next building. She's an older lady (older than me) and a mom, plus she is funny too. Our joke at the pool, which right outside the door, is that if she isn't at the pool, the pool is closed. 

As I sat in the sun covered in sunscreen reading my book, while sipping on beverages, I explained I work four jobs: full time at school, part time nanny every Sunday (May-October), part time nanny every other Wednesday and part time retail (Saturdays). I do this because I am expensive (it's my own belief that I am) and because I majored in education, and we know that education doesn't pay much. 

I asked myself why am I working so much and do I need to work this hard? What is the purpose of this, and what is it doing other than paying my bills? What is it doing for my mental health?

No and nothing, in that order. I have zero time to rest and recharge. I'm always working, and while I like keeping busy, my anxiety and stress level is high because I don't make time to relax. I love my jobs (especially retail because I like talking to people) yet something has to give.

Then I realized I am working so much to take my mind off something that needs attention-myself. You know when something serious or traumatic happens you ignore it by keeping over busy? That's what I have been doing. I've been destroying my mental health by overworking and not taking the time to enjoy the sunshine. 

That needs to stop now. It needs to stop because it's not healthy. I need to do something else, and I just started doing that. 

Stay tuned for more details. 

With love,

Dani

Comments

Popular Posts