Yes, Virginia, The Office Schmoozer DOES Gossip

 


Oh hey there peeps! Long time since I've posted. Stella and I are fine (treats are the thing that keeps her in the house when I leave in the morning) and we signed a lease for another year. Fam is good (I'm home visiting) and everything else is cool so far.

Especially what happened at work recently and that's the topic of today's post. The situation caught me by surprise (literally) and as I sat in that meeting, floored doesn't even begin to describe how I felt. Stunned is more like it, because not only did I not expect this to happen, I didn't think it would happen. Fifteen years of knowing higher management with four tenures of teaching, and this happens. I'm a Golden Girls fan (anyone who knows me knows this) and there's only way to describe how I feel:


An outright lie was told to senior management by someone under, under qualified for her position which she obtained by kissing up. Sadly, it's what people do to get ahead (I don't) and for some, if it works, so be it. The problem is nobody really cared for this person when she started years ago. I like her in a different position other than leadership because she has an awful, holier-than-thou attitude like she's on a pedestal. The other issue is her lack of experience and/or education within the field and leadership in general because she lacks both. 

Yet she got the promotion, or more like she left, came back and told the higher ups to promote her. They did, and nobody likes her. Higher ups have had numerous complaints about her and they still haven't demoted her, and sadly, will most likely not, not even after what she did to me.

She told higher management that I broke confidentiality. That I broke the trust and that I was snooping through things and even told people about a situation. I did no such thing, and as I was trying to wrap my head around the ridiculousness, I kept asking questions which nobody wanted to discuss. This person said the following:

" 'only two people knew about the situation and now thanks to you, everyone knows' ". Senior management said they had zero proof, yet Schmooze tells them otherwise. Since that meeting took place I have been feeling weird around management in general. I also felt like I didn't belong, both as an employee and in their little management clique, filled with an anything goes policy plus lots of gossip from Schmooze and her pal (let's call her Schmoozie). During a meeting where I expressed how I felt about not being on leadership, I did state I am more experienced compared to the Schmoozers, which is very true. I know this got back to them and it sounds like I have an ego (I do at times) yet this was so obvious to them as a company that they continued to overlook this (again!) in favor of what they thought would be a great fit for leadership but obviously isn't. 

Hearing this information where I supposedly did this was very hurtful and degrading. My guess is that Schoomze isn't doing her job that well (she's not from the vibe I get and I can't stand being anywhere near her-she makes me cringe) and to cover it up, she finds things to blame on me. She most likely told people about this situation and to cover her ass, she blames it on me. While I admire her for wanting to take her career to the next level, I feel like she needs to step down and work on her professionalism more before taking on this role. It's not benefiting the company due to the complaints and the fact that senior management won't do anything about it. The more that complaints go unaddressed and the less action taken, the better the chances that others will resign due to Schmooze's office antics which resemble high school behavior and bullying. 

Fifteen years and I said goodbye. It's not what I wanted to do, it's what I needed to do. Who wants to work at a company where you are treated like this? Not me. 

The new position starts on Tuesday, and I have a mixture of emotions. I'm happy, and I know I did the right thing by leaving. I, just like you, have a right to a drama free work environment free of toxic behavior. In a perfect world, we would get along, and we have to deal with environments like this. 

Some people grow up after high school. Others don't. And while it's ok to do what you need to do to impress the boss, gossiping and lying about others while you are in a management position is not the way to go about it. In my opinion, this demonstrates one's lack of maturity into question and whether they should be demoted or terminated from a leadership role. 

So....what do YOU think? How would you have handled this? 


With love,

Dani

Comments

Popular Posts