Pro Wrestling: Tony Kahn Lost My Respect With All Out







Hey hey wrasslin fans! It’s your favorite diva and Wardlow’s girlfriend back with another one. It’s been awhile since I’ve posted-the Fourth was great complete with a trip to the beach (Montrose Beach in Chicago is pretty, with a nice view of the north shore along with part of Indiana and the top of the Hancock). The kids were covered in sand, and a good time was had by all (my sister, brother-in-law, nephews, niece and her boyfriend and my sister’s sister-in-law and her partner). 

Overall, I had fun in Chicago as usual with the exception of the unfortunate tragedy that plauged Highland Park. As I sat on the beach Sunday afternoon engulfed by warm sunshine and wet sand, I had a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was going to happen that weekend. Sure enough, Jen and I were on our way back home from breakfast Monday when we heard the news about the shooting from our neighbors. As I watched the news, I felt sick about the fact that innocent lives were stolen due to one man’s rage. 

As I read more about this tragedy, I have to take a few moments to get myself together-my family is in Chicago, both city and suburbs. Having this happen so close to home hits hard and my heart goes to the community of Highland Park, the victims and their families. 

On with the show. 

Speaking of Chicago, All Out was announced after much deliberation (or it seems) on behalf of AEW. Rumors were swirling like food coloring in cake batter as to where event would take place: United Center or Now Arena. According to reports, there was a sign at Forbidden Door advertising the event at the United Center. This past Wednesday on Dynamite, the venue for All Out was finally revealed, along with the surprise of All Out week, with both Dynamite and Rampage being hosted at the Now Arena prior to the pay per view. Exciting, isn’t it? (Especially to see Punk possibly return and my Wardlow plus Mr. Lee and Swerve, to name a few). Tickets went on sale Thursday with a presale code and officially Friday.

As my friend and I searched for tickets both Thursday and Friday using Ticketmaster, we were disappointed to find out the event is sold out. According to news sites, packages were offered to sell tickets for both Dynamite and Rampage. Ticket prices for the PPV alone were outrageous, and the entire process was a headache. 

I was looking forward to the PPV, as it would be my second AEW event and first PPV. (Not wrestling overall, but first AEW PPV). Sadly, my hopes were dashed when the event was sold out during the presale. The available seats for the event only minus the bundle ranged from $800-3000. Bundle packages were priced decent, yet still expensive. There was a possibility of attending three shows, yet with lodging, entertainment in Chicago (I highly recommend going to the Sears Tower and the Skydeck. Beautiful view and worth the wait. Notice I said Sears Tower, not Willis. Only tourists call it Willis Tower. Chicagoans call it Sears Tower. Another recommendation when you visit is Navy Pier, plus lunch at Lou Malnati’s or Giordano’s) that would’ve been more expensive. The job I’m currently working at gives holiday pay when you work the day before and after a holiday; if I took off the Friday of the weekend holiday, I’d lose sixteen hours of holiday pay. 

Stinks, doesn’t it? Yes. But it is what it is. As my friend said, to attend the PPV plus the other two events, one would need a small loan. Neither one of us expected this to happen-after all the WWE events we’ve attended, we were surprised things went this way. 

For weeks there was no decision on venue, although Smarkout Moment had Now Arena listed for months as the unconfirmed location. Add to the fact the rumor of the event being held at the UC, with several news outlets having minimal information regarding venue, making fans wait eagerly to see where the event was taking place, then the bombshell announcement made on Dynamite with little notice. Then tickets are sold out, with packages available for all three shows. WrestleTix reported that bundles were being sold as an incentive for fans to attend Dynamite/Rampage because AEW PPVs draw great numbers at gates. While this move was a smart business move, this was poor planning on AEW’s part. They could’ve announced the venue earlier and provided the option of building packages based on fans’ choice. Dynamite+PPV, or Rampage+PPV. Gate numbers would’ve been good, as Chicago is a hot wrestling market. 

Sorry my loves (Wardlow, Swerve In Our Glory, FTR, Punk and Danhausen) but I won’t see you in September. I’m waiting until Thanksgiving, and hoping your boss plans better for the next Chicago event. 

I love pro wrestling. It’s part of me, and if you’ve read previous blogs, you would know Grandmother got me into pro wrestling. My sisters don’t believe me, but she did. Some people like comic books, others like Star Wars, some are into anime. I’m into pro wrestling, but I’m not into it so much that I’m going to shell out thousands of dollars for a seat. 

Tony Khan, I understand you have a business to run, and that you pay talents and staff with combined resources of money. I respect that. What I don’t respect at the moment is your handling of this situation because not only did you take advantage of fans, you made it impossible for fans to attend. The fact that single tickets were sold out that quickly with a presale plus the last minute decision on venue with short notice sale makes me wonder your ethics and honesty as a businessman. Was there a secret sale that took place that not even the IWC or fans knew about? In all my years of attending live events I’ve never seen a ticket sale held like this. I’m disappointed in AEW, especially since TK knows I’m a fan, as evident by my tweets. It makes me not want to attend future events because the same thing could happen again. Fans deserved better than this, and while AEW has a fun, interesting product, this sale is just as bad as the constantly growing injury list of AEW stars who put their lives on the line for us to put our butts in seats. (Tony Schiavone could still put my butt in a seat, much like he did with the Fingerpoke of Doom. The FPD is the main event of Nitro January 1999 that not only saw Kevin Nash poke Hogan in the chest over the title with the reformation of the NWO, but the downfall of WCW in the Monday Night Wars, which had 600,000 fans tuning into Raw after Schiavone gave results of Raw on a live Nitro broadcast in an effort to be funny). 

If you are going to the PPV, have fun! If you aren’t going because of TK’s inappropriate handling, I’m sorry. We’ll always have November if TK gets his act together. 

With Big Bird and love,

Dani



Comments

Popular Posts