Pro Wrestling: Cody Is Back, Now What and Prediction

Hey y'all! The diva with a D is back at it again. Super busy week last week and weekend with double babysitting (Colin, if we lived in the same state, I'd love to babysit for you as well). Saturday was a blessing with a family that I met a few years earlier and never heard back from (parent was dealing with a major situation and being a single parent at the same time plus school) with preschooler and trip to the park, while Saturday night was with a fairly new family with baby snuggles, a 6-year-old testing limits by hiding the tablet at bedtime (hello, Roblox is major thing) and attempting to negotiate with said child regarding said device. Bedtime was fairly easy until the surprise in bed which resulted in a sick child plus a load of laundry. Busy Sunday at the store-customer won a decent chunk of change playing WI lottery-I'm jelly. I've played before on occasion and once came one symbol-one symbol from $30K-two weeks in a row. You would think the lottery gods would understand that I'm a teacher and need to win the lottery. As a customer said yesterday, " 'Adolf Hitler could play the lottery and win.' " Priceless. 

And here we are on Monday. The kids were pretty good today, aside from a friend nearly getting superkicked in the face by another friend. Speaking of superkicks and Monday, I forgot to record Raw. Again. I forgot to record Raw again. After seeing part of the promo Cody cut on Raw last week, I had to watch the full segment. Having grown up watching The American Dream, I was moved by Cody's speech, and how he said he knew he wanted to be a wrestler when he was eight years old. Fond memories of his father come to my mind on a Saturday night as an eleven-year-old watching TBS. The thing about Cody is that he, as a second generation wrestler possesses an "it factor" that other second and third generation stars have (think Orton, Usos, Rock, Reigns, Eddie, Owen. Twitter Boys, let me know if I forgot anyone, because I'm sure I did and go ahead and debate me. Robbie, I'm talking to you. 😀). That factor didn't come overnight (remember the Rock when he debuted at SS 1996 and how nobody cared for him until he joined the NOD. Then there was the Usos with that face paint, plus Reigns being forced down our throats and now look at the Bloodline. I can't get enough of them, and I'm sure others feel the same). Cody didn't have that it factor immediately and eventually it showed as he improved as a wrestler. 

Given his first run in WWE, I felt like he wasn't used properly. I also felt the way he was treated was an an insult to Dusty, given the amount of talent Cody has. The Legacy (I actually liked them as a stable as it credited their lineage). the Rhodes Scholars and the Stardust storylines/characters gave us a glimpse to a multi-faceted and talented Cody, who did the best he could with what he had. 

Enter AEW. Cody put the WWE behind him. Billed as one of the top guys in the company plus an executive, he had a hand in making AEW what is it is today. His leaving was a shock to some (myself included) and he did what he felt was right. Or did he?

 https://twitter.com/anjan_pn/status/1512601557900021764 Anjan_pn posted the tweet on Twitter pointing out that Danielson's first televised match in AEW was with Omega, while Cody's first match is with the Miz. Cody back in WWE breathes much needed life into both Raw and SD, and the feud possibilities are endless. The surrounding cast needs a major upgrade, so start those NXT call-ups. Ciampa is a good start (Boys, remember that I'm not an NXT watcher, so feel free to insert names here). 

The question is can Cody get over with fans? He played everything Creative handed him well. Now can he get over just being Cody? Cody, the son of the "American Dream". Cody the insane talent who grew up in this business, similar to his colleagues (Usos, Reigns, Orton, Bron). Cody who did well in his position as an EVP in AEW compared to the Bucks who did not grow up in the business. 

Cody as Cody. Not as a member of the Legacy, not as a member of Rhodes Scholars. Cody as Cody, not as Dashing or Undashing. Not as Stardust. Cody, at thirty-six years of age, with more experience, more development and management experience. Cody as himself, kind of like me when I don't wear makeup. 

Prediction: WWE spent a nice chunk of change on Cody and from what I heard, there is a long contract followed by a mobile home (similar to what Cena had while on the road) so that Brandi and the baby can travel with him. With this investment, the interest from WWE is there, yet will this backfire? Will this backfire if he can't get over? My prediction is this: within one year, Cody will be at the top of the mid-card on a Rollins type level, but not the top guy. At some point, Cody will re-evaluate his decision and head back to AEW. 

Thoughts? Let me know! Now to pack for this weekend. Chicago here I come!

With jellybeans and love,

Dani


Comments

Popular Posts