The First Week

 Oh hey there Divas! Super lazy (and well deserved) Saturday complete with salon visit followed by a trip to Sephora, lunch at Cheesecake, cheesecake, the purchase of a new laptop (thanks to my Twitter boys for the recs) and browsing at Nordstrom Rack. Now home and doing nothing. 

After this week, I deserve it. Hell, after the last two weeks I deserve it. 

A few years ago, I had a boss mention to me her opinion on something. She felt like I lost my passion and spark for teaching. To some degree I may have, and when you have issues in your classroom and nobody is willing to help, to some it may appear that you “ ‘lost’ “ yourself and what you love to do. Given the last position I had, I thought I lost said spark. In some ways I felt like a struggling lighter or an old appliance struggling to start. (Then again I’m old, and when I was ____ years old, I had-never mind, I won’t say it, because I’m ageless most of the time. Other times I feel it and then look into the mirror and wonder what the hell happened 🤔😀😁). 

I was talking with friends recently about this current job, commenting to one I was glad I accepted it. At first I was hesitant, and I see that it was meant to be. They needed me, and most of the children needed me. They needed me to provide for them and prepare them for 4K in the fall. The parent needed someone who cares about their children, who wants to be there, and someone to give them something in return for tuition (childcare in WI is expensive). 

It’s been one week thus far. With a slow introduction to a more structured routine, along with more activities, choices and positive guidance, we had a great first week together. I’m excited to go into work on Monday with the new letter construction set and the introduction of more activities, starting with letters and numbers. 

My spark is back. And after what I’ve experienced both personally and professionally within the last year, I’m back to my old self. No more inflexible employers who refused to create a needed schedule, no more employers who had unrealistic expectations. No more overworking myself to the point of exhaustion. No more overwhelming myself with conflicting thoughts on where I should be and with whom. No more wondering if someone actually cares about me and how much I mean to them, sacrificing myself for their dreams and goals. 

I’m free. Free and feeling better than ever. 

Our first week will go down in history as positive, and continue to be positive from here. They are by no means perfect (no child is perfect) but they are fun, curious, and energetic. Like all children, they need guidance and a gentle, loving environment. They need me. 

And I’m here for them because I love what I do. Teach. 

With cheesecake and love,

Dani


Comments

Popular Posts