Pro Wrestling: How AEW Changed My Wednesday Night

 Hey Divas! Saturday night, a quiet house with a six-year-old sleeping upstairs and an infant sleeping next to me on the couch with my watchful eyes on her every two seconds. Welcome to my world of babysitting because I like kids, but also because I’m single with nothing to do. After my recent relationship which ended a year and a half ago, I’m happy as a single but bored at the same time. Considering getting back into dating, but I like being alone, at least for now. However, if I did meet someone, that could change. 

Speaking of change, most of you know I’m from Chicago and a fan of the Chicago franchise on NBC. I often joked on Twitter that Wednesday evenings were booked with the Chicago shows in the DVR with Dynamite being recorded as well. I’m also a fan of “A Million Little Things” which moved to Wednesday this season. That meant I couldn’t record Dynamite, and I’d have to watch Dynamite on demand. 

With the Winter Olympics on NBC during February, I was able to record Dynamite in place of AMLT. I set Dynamite fifteen minutes over, the same as I did with Raw, Nitro and SD back in the day. This conflicts with recording AMLT, and when the show took a break, I was looking forward to recording Dynamite. I continued to joke on Twitter that my priorities were in place on Wednesday and that AEW was not one of them. Gary and Eddie from AMLT were more important, or so I thought. 

Somewhere along the way, that changed. Gary is not a priority, and neither is Eddie. I don’t know what happened, but AEW changed my Wednesday nights. 

Perhaps it was Punk and MJF, or Mox. Maybe it was the recent arrivals of Kyle O’Reiily, Keith Lee, and the “surprises” talked about on Twitter. It could’ve been Starks. I honestly don’t know what it was, but I know that I’m excited to watch AEW. Chris posted the tweet below talking about how AEW brought back his love of pro wrestling, and I must say I agree. AEW has reignited my passion for pro wrestling and this is why I write about it. https://twitter.com/cmattingly97/status/1502089694892462080 (Thanks for the inspiration for this article). 

What I love about AEW is the unexpected. You never know what’s going to happen. Another thing I love is the uniqueness of the characters, many of which are not cookie cutter corporate creations along with the unique look of said characters. (Can you picture Orange Cassidy in WWE? Not me. Starks? No. Wardlow, yes, but my concern is if he goes there he’ll get lost in creative). I also enjoy the raw, uncut, hilarious commentary on both Dynamite and Rampage. Finally, I love the laid back and free approach, free of the scripted promos and the “appropriate” product to please executives. 

During the MNW, I watched Nitro first then Raw. The reason? Nitro was must see tv. Now I watch Dynamite and Rampage before WWE. Sometimes I watch Dynamite twice. While it’s not WWE, it’s better, and with every passing week, TK continues to improve slightly. This past week with Jericho turning on the Inner Circle (the name Jericho Appreciation Society doesn’t fit), Wardlow’s face turn, Paige Van Zant signing with AEW, and Scorpio Sky winning the title, things are going to get interesting from here. 

Wednesday is “hump day” for most. For me, it’s a tired day, as I work a double on Tuesday between school and the store, and it’s my favorite night of the week, with my favorite shows on, one of them being my passion of pro wrestling. 

Thank you Tony Khan for reigniting my love of pro wrestling. I feel like a kid watching wrestling with Grandmother again and I love it. I may not agree with everything you say and do, but I love AEW and will continue to support the product with continued viewership, merch purchase, and live event attendance, along with continued writing. 

Now it’s off to work again because I’m single. Maybe I should start dating so I don’t have to work so much. If anyone knows of single wrestler, send him my way. With his job and my love of wrestling, it would make for an interesting relationship. 

With Daylight Savings and love,

Dani


Comments

Popular Posts