Pro Wrestling: Heaven Is Now Oozing Machismo

 Oh hey there Divas! A two article day, and my day was pretty good, how was yours? It felt great to write this morning; I’m grateful that some of you read this blog and follow me on Twitter. Let’s keep that up with more readers and followers: my blog is like a thrift store. You’ll never know what you’ll find here, so read the blog and follow me on Twitter.  https://mobile.twitter.com/makeupjunkie091 

I woke up today after Stella heard the alarm go off. Grabbed the tablet and began writing. Looked at Apple News and came across Kevin Nash talking about Scott Hall being taken off life support following his heart attacks due to the blood clots. My thoughts and prayers were with Hall and his loved ones, along with Nash and the wrestling industry as we prepared for what we already knew was going to happen. As I thought about Hall today, I remembered the first time I saw him in person. 

It was mid eighties as a middle schooler at an AWA event in Green Bay. This event stands out in my memory because I stood on a chair and screamed for HBK so loud that he turned around, smiled and called me ringside. Too frozen to move, with Grandmother present, I stayed in my seat and behaved. (If I would’ve gone to ringside, who knows what would’ve happened? That’s like the day former Bucks player Dan Gadzuric visited my store in Milwaukee and I checked him out with his mother asking me questions, like she was trying to set me up with her son. Dan is really nice, and I couldn’t move in that direction for a specific reason called “the waste of time”. I regret not giving him my number). During this AWA event, Scott Hall filled in a tag match for Marty Jannetty, HBK’s tag partner at the time. Grandmother commented on how talented he was, not to mention nice looking. As the eighties came to a close, Hall was  gone from the AWA. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IEPJgkB4zHU (AWA interview clip, mid eighties). He then appeared in WCW during the summer of 1989, as Scott “Gator” Hall, complete with boats, fishing and scaring alligators. He did time in various promotions before going back to WCW in 1991 where he was The Diamond Studd. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnGREch7luI (Diamond Studd, October 1991). From there, we had “the bad guy”, and the founding of the NWO. 

No matter what character he played, Hall was talented. He shined as a face and twinkled as a heel. At 6’9 and close to three hundred pounds, he moved light, almost like a dancer. When he arrived in WCW for the third time in May 1996, he had the attention of wrestling fans, and sadly, alcohol has his attention as well. I minored in psychology, and in 1983, Hall was arrested for second degree murder after wrestling a gun away from an individual outside a bar in FL. (I read somewhere he was a bouncer when he first got into the business). The charges were dropped citing insufficient evidence. In 2011, Hall stated during an interview that he would never get over taking a human life. During an event like this, our brain activates “fight or flight”, leaving us with some form of PTSD. PTSD is loaded with anxiety, with the slightest smell, color, time of day, phrase and surroundings that can trigger the suppressed memories of the incident . Some people block such incidents from their memory and later develop PTSD without realizing it. Perhaps this happened to Hall, which led to his alcohol issues and arrests. 

Thank you Scott for bringing your talent to the wrestling industry and for the memories. You will live forever in our hearts as the ultimate bad guy. https://twitter.com/FiteTV/status/1503366486165004298 (Scott Hall HOF closing statement). 

With love,

Dani

Comments

Popular Posts