The Pro Wrestling Delorean: Bockwinkel, Heenan and MJF

 Greetings Divas! After three days with no TV set, I have a new set, only to find out my other set works, and the top socket in the outlet needs to be fixed. This new tv is much cooler than my old one, so it’s a keeper. I feel like myself again. Watching shows on a phone is great at the gym, but at home, I’ll pass. 

During my three days sans tube, I spent time with another tube: YouTube. Two weeks ago, I was live at AEW Dynamite in Chicago where I witnessed the promo of the century between CM Punk and Maxwell Jacob Friedman, also known as MJF. In pro wrestling, to cut a promo (speak in character about yourself or an opponent and/or situation) requires a connection with the audience as a character, strong speaking ability and mannerisms to match the character. Strong emotion with a equally strong voice plus presentation (think Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage or the Ultimate Warrior), or calm, cool collected with a demeanor that is not too intense, promos are like good sermons that very few can deliver. Cutting promos is essential in pro wrestling, and when I was a kid, I’d stand in front of the bathroom mirror and cut my own promos. (Why I’m not in pro wrestling as a valet or on a creative team is question that can’t be answered). 

Saturday night, early eighties. AWA wrestling, based in Minneapolis, MN. Nick Bockwinkel, then AWA champion, cuts a promo accompanied by Bobby The Brain Heenan. Billed from Beverly Hills, Bockwinkel delivered promos with such class and grace that my young mind believed every word he said. Showing minimal emotion, Bockwinkel delivered promos like a college course or a salesman. 

Monday night, mid eighties. WWF wrestling, based in Stamford, CT. Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon host Primetime Wrestling, a long standing staple on the USA network. Primetime was the predecessor to the current Monday Night Raw. Wrestling historians have cited Heenan as one of the best talkers for a wrestler turned manager, delivering a comedic heel touch to his character. Wrestling historians have also cited Heenan and Monsoon as one of the best, if not the best commentary team of all time given their complementary styles of true face (Monsoon) and true heel (Heenan). Their antics on Primetime brought wrestling to fans with a touch of comedy that created a strong connection which cannot be duplicated. 

Fast forward to 2021. Enter MJF. This is a kid at twenty-five years of age who delivers promos with such intensity you wonder if he really is the stuck up snob he portrays. Everything about him is perfection and he’s a natural heel. He plays the part so well I can’t see him playing a face. With an ego, zingers and crowd/city jabs, MJF delivers. 

If Bockwinkel and Heenan had kids of their own based on their characters, and a child was created by creative similar to how Lisa was created in Weird Science, that child would be MJF. If Doc Brown created a Delorean and that Delorean was stolen by Heenan with Bockwinkel as a passenger (I can picture Heenan  doing this and denying it), MJF would be dropped. 

MJF is a heel and I applauded him in Chicago. I also cheered for Punk. I applauded the heel and popped for the face. At the same time. (I’m from Chicago, so…you get it). Max has that it factor and I love it. 

I can picture Heenan and Bockwinkel smiling in heaven while Monsoon rolls his eyes. Then Heenan reaches for his phone, placing a call to Mis Betty, his secretary. Monsoon rolls his eyes again. 

Go Max go! And keep going! You’ve got it. 

With Burberry scarves and love,

Dani

  

Comments

Popular Posts