The One With The AEW Live Event Rewview

 Hey hey hey! Your new favorite blogging diva is back again with yet another post to give you something to read. This time we are blogging from the laptop whom I'm in this love-hate thing with, as it moves super slow and at time freezes up. Chicago traffic moves faster compared to my computer, depending on the mood. Anyway, let's get started, as this post is special. So special that writing from my tablet was not justified. 

If you have been following the blog (and why should you not follow) you read that I am a fan of pro wrestling. I grew up watching it with my grandmother with fond memories of Hulk Hogan and The Road Warriors, plus Lex Luger and The Four Horsemen. (There was something so appealing about Ric Flair as a heel). Growing up, there was a joke that I couldn't do math, but I knew everything about pro wrestling. Today I know more about pro wrestling, and still can't do math, however, Algebra and I became friendly acquaintances last summer. 

Over the years, I have been to live events, from house shows (no cameras as in the show is not live or taped) to television tapings to pay-per-views. I have been seen on television three times holding up various signs for my favorite wrestler (signs are popular) and been part of chants. I have also been part of wrestling history. Going to live events and being in the audience is fun, and there are so many friendly fans that engage in conversation while waiting for a tee shirt or snacks. The entire thing is fake yet so emotional at the same time. As a fan, I have cried for the deaths of both Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero, the retirement and comeback of Edge. I have yelled, screamed, cheered, and booed. I have sat in my seat watching the events, happy to be a fan, then I noticed something.

The internet ruined pro wrestling and the mystique was gone. WWE has become boring and too predictable with questions that make you wonder how creative got their jobs in the first place. (I can write a sentence too). AEW is a newer company still trying to find it's niche with unique characters, promos and no filter. I watch WWE, I know what to expect and when I see the unexpected (hello, Sami Zayn facing Roman Reigns? Oh puhlease!) I wonder what creative is thinking or if they are thinking at all. The golden egg story on Raw? What's more fried and scrambled? The eggs or Vince's brain? (If you want to answer that one, go right ahead). When I watch AEW, I never know what to expect, and that's what lead to last Wednesday night in Chicago. 

My first AEW taping of Dynamite and Rampage. Chicago is a hot wrestling market, and I had a blast. The energy of the Chicago fanbase is incredible and they popped (to pop for someone in pro wrestling is to cheer for them) for the show. Fans started filing in during the taping of AEW Dark and by the time cameras were rolling for Dynamite, fans were in attendance cheering for their hometown hero and mine, CM Punk. The segment between Punk and MJF was a bit long (too long in my opinion) and full of moments that made the crowd wow. Although many improvements need to be made in AEW depending on who you ask, the show was decent due to the unpredictable factor missing in WWE. I'm not a fan of Kenny Omega, and one of the signs I was going to make was going to read: I'd be home watching WWE, but I'm watching Omega instead. 

Would I attend another AEW show? Yes. In Chicago? Yes. I'm not going to say that AEW is perfect, because it's not, and there's work to be done. I will say that I'm more interested in AEW compared to WWE, and the only reason why I watch WWE is because of Reigns on Smackdown and Kevin Owens on Raw. 

If you are a wrestling fan and contemplating attending an AEW event, I suggest going. The show kept me on my toes, because I didn't know what to expect. 

Right now I want to take a moment to shout out my favorite people in the IWC: Joe, Colin, Robbie and Virtue plus Thy Great One, Mr. Tito and the gang from www.nodq.com

And a very special shoutout to someone: Yo Aaron! I did it! Now I can be featured on the debates. 

A day off tomorrow and now I'm going to watch AEW Dynamite from last night On Demand. 

With nachos and love, 

Dani


Comments

Popular Posts