And Just Like That: They’re Back!

 Hello Divas! It’s the Diva back again with another post. Frigid temperatures here in Wisco (I won’t even complain since this is a heatwave compared to AK during winter). A long day with cooped up energetic preschoolers and home to a broken television set. Today’s topic is part 1 of a series that is held near and dear to television that aired for six seasons, with two movies, seven Emmy awards, eight Golden Globes, and making Time magazines “Best 100 Shows of all TIME in 2007. The fashion seen on this show was has been ahead of its time, setting trends across the country. Ladies and gentlemen…I give you…Sex and the City. 

Based on the book written by Candice Bushnell, our story follows three women in their thirties and one in her forties as they navigate life and love in New York City. Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte lived in a world of comedy and drama surrounded by Cosmopolitans that many of us can relate to. Dating weird guys, bad kissing, commitment phobia, secret single behavior, meeting the parents, being dumped, moving on after said break up, embarrassment, cheating, separation, gender equality, motherhood, and illness are some of the issues the Fashionable Foursome had which many women have faced and their stories are told with humor thus making the show a bright spot in our lives.

What made this show so unique and fun was the friendship, the humor, and the fashion, plus the drama (Carrie and Big, Carrie and the Russian, plus Nina Katz, The Face Girl). Miranda’s cynicism, Charlotte as the hopeless romantic with the fairytale courtship and marriage to blue blood doctor Trey and her second marriage to Harry, and Samantha’s bold, brashly behavior (Joe the Worldwide Express Guy) plus her throwing a drink on Richard after she caught him cheating and her quest for the Hermès Birkin bag using Lucy Lou’s name, the quartet gave us must see television on Sunday nights. (I was too cheap to get HBO, so I watched them all in reruns and OnDemand. Now I’m too expensive to be cheap). 

After eleven years and the idea of a third movie scrapped, the girls, minus Samantha, are back. New chapter, new characters, new lives. And knowing Carrie, I’m sure there’s a few new pairs of shoes. (Let’s hope she doesn’t get mugged again for the Manolo Bhlanik strappy sandals and that Miranda meets a hot young cop but doesn’t get hammered this time). I’m hoping to have my new television set on Thursday so I can go to that bright spot again as I have before. 

Part 2 will feature the first half of my SATC all time favorite episodes, with a review of Just Like That later this week. 

Now it’s time for this girl to go bed before I look like I held onto my car and let it drag me to work. 

(Carrie (arriving very late to magazine photo shoot): “I’m sorry I’m late. I couldn’t get a cab”.

Stanford (irritated as he was the one who got her the photo shoot): “So what did you do? Hold onto one and let it drag you here?”

We miss you Willie Garson! Thank you for bringing the character of Stanford Blatch into our lives. RIP. 

With Manolos and love,

Dani

Comments

Popular Posts