The One With The Cover Letter

Hey y’all! Still on holiday with family and I’m enjoying, no loving my time here. As I sit in my cousin’s living room blogging on my tablet without my laptop (hello poor planning and even poorer packing) I’m counting my days until I come back in two weeks. Chicago is a beautiful city with busy traffic and some of the friendliest people, plus incredible views of the skyline from certain parts of the city. I love being here, yet I love my cheaper cost of living more. 

My love for Chicago is like my love for being in the classroom. I’ve been talking about moving to Chicago for years, just like I’ve been talking about being in a leadership position at various schools that I’ve worked at. I love the idea of starting something new, yet the feeling of familiarity pulls me back each time. At home I’m familiar with my life, finding comfort in routines, routes and driving. In Chicago, I’m familiar with directions, streets, the freeways and points of interest, plus landmarks, as Grandmother called them so I wouldn’t get lost. With the classroom, I’m familiar with the routine and schedules, along with the operation of said classroom. There is comfort within familiarity, which for some can hold us down by the fear of the unfamiliar, thus not stepping outside our comfort zone. 

Unhappy at a job, I jumped into a leadership role at a new school feet first. Compare that to jumping into a pool without questioning the length of the jump or depth of water. Having had a background in the classroom along with careful observation of leadership in previous jobs, I wasn’t scared of the jump or depth-I knew the job and the expectations, plus the responsibilities of said job. Being in charge of an entire school isn’t easy, and while I stayed afloat in deep water, I realized that the water was more difficult to swim largely due to my lack of preparedness. I missed something, and finally realized I needed more work in some areas in order to succeed in that leadership position being in charge of everything. 

As I reflect on twenty-three years in the field of early childhood education (I constantly reflect), I’m wondering what more I can do in my current position as an educator. Working with children and families will always be my passion, yet I wonder what else I can do within the classroom that I have yet to do, considering I’ve done everything new teachers have not done yet. 

My boss emailed the staff regarding a leadership position opening up. After reading through said description, I meet the education requirements, plus I’ve done most of the job responsibilities, and I’m familiar with key topics of said position that candidates should be familiar with. One component of said position that I find intriguing is the training of new staff, as I once commented to a former co-worker that a training program for new teachers covering specific topics along with ages and stages of child development and a supportive ear would reduce the burnout early childhood educators face in the profession, myself included. 

I’m interested in the position, yet the familiarity of the classroom and the fear of rejection (I’m my own worst critic) plus the disaster of the last leadership position I applied for create the fear I have of applying. Then I think about everything I’ve accomplished in my career, the skills I have, the passion for my work, and the love I have for helping both families and educators. 

Tell me what reason I have to be afraid, because I can’t think of a reason. 

Tomorrow when I get home, I’m applying for that position. 

Have any of you ever felt so comfortable in a position that you felt the same way I do? Let’s connect! Email me at theteachingdiva9@gmail.com

With Chicago popcorn and love,

Dani



Comments

Popular Posts