Teacher Gift Ideas

 Greetings from the Windy City! Sitting on a comfy oversized chair sipping Starbs (Starbucks) after falling asleep at two-thirty this morning and waking up at seven-thirty. (My twelve-year-old nephew finally came out of his little man cave and insisted on watching a movie with me after midnight, to which I fell asleep, not to mention he was overtired). This peppermint mocha is amazing, and it’s my fourth one this week. (Hey, ya like what ya like, and at least it’s not my fourth cup in one day). Did I sip while shopping on Black Friday? Of course! 

While I walked around Oakbrook Mall, an airy, outdoor mall in the western suburbs, I enjoyed people watching, pet a few cute pooches walking around, and smiled at the kids shopping for the holidays. My eyes loved a Gucci crossbody bag, I had to have my friend shield my eyes from the new bad habit known as my Gap addiction (I recently made a major life change and lost a little over thirty pounds so now I can fit into Gap jeans again), and I gifted myself a new Kate Spade bag and earrings, both on sale. I also gifted myself a new sweatshirt and leggings from Pink (although it’s designed for tweens, teens, and twenty somethings the clothes are so comfy which my forty something self loves). I’ve been shopping throughout the year, picking things up here and there, crossing names from my list. 

The most popular store as indicated by shoppers in Oakbrook was Bath and Body works. Lines were long, the mall was busy, and I loved every minute of it. As I shopped, I thought about a question that came up in a social media group regarding gifts for teachers. This parent questioned if she should purchase a gift for her child’s teacher, plus the assistant teacher, and what she should purchase. 

Do you need to purchase a gift for your child’s teacher? 

The short answer is no. Gifts are not mandatory, and always appreciated. Over the years, I’ve gotten a variety of gifts, and sometimes no gift, which is fine. As Grandmother used to say, it’s not the gift, but the thought that counts. 

Gift Ideas for Teachers

Gifting is a challenge, and considering the fact that young children (infant-five years of age) plus elementary age children spend seventy-five percent of their day with someone other than a parent, you may consider purchasing a holiday gift for that person, as they are an essential part of your child and family’s life. 

1. Gift cards

This is the most simple gift and hardly impersonal. Gift cards take the guess work out of shopping. Select any amount you wish-last year I got a Visa gift card for a nice amount which I used when I purchased my new tablet. Easy shopping!

2. Store gift cards

These are a nice gift too. Last year I got a Sephora gift card from a family in my class. When I thanked the family, Mom said when she saw my makeup looking flawless, she knew just what to get. Other popular cards in this category are Target, Kohl’s, Barnes and Noble, Bath and Body, TJ Maxx, and Old Navy. 

3. Food gift cards

Teachers get hungry and thirsty too. Food and drink cards, such as Starbucks and restaurants make great gifts. I’m a coffee drinker, so Starbucks cards are always a hit with me. 

4. Homemade gifts

I’ve had a few of these in my career, and they are the cutest things ever! A craft, treat box, or picture handmade by your child makes a great gift. 

5. Gifts with personality/interests 

This is a bit of a stretch, and this has to do with who your child’s teacher is, plus their personality. Remember the Sephora gift card? Mom wouldn’t have known to purchase that gift card had she not known my interest in beauty. Is your child’s teacher an avid reader? Consider a fun gift from a bookstore. Are they crafty? A craft store, such as Michael’s or Hobby Lobby would suit them. Are they a writer? Collector? Think about them and your conversations where they may have shared their interests. 

Can’t decide what to get? Consider the gift of breakfast, lunch or treats for the entire staff. One family treated the staff to breakfast from Panera, whereas another family purchased pizza, and another family purchased lunch boxes from Jimmy John’s. 

Holiday shopping, plus the holidays themselves, is stressful. Hopefully this list made your shopping a little easier! 

And the coffee? Well, that’s gone. Not that I finished it, but the dog did. As I was writing, I dropped my cousin off at a party and came home to her dog drinking coffee out of the cup, minus lid. At least she drank the good stuff. 

With shopping and love,

Dani

Comments

Popular Posts